[barcampgr] Topics

Jeff DeMaagd jeff at demaagd.com
Thu Jul 30 07:45:59 PDT 2009

steve poling wrote:
 > video collection is the easy part. cutting down the footage. that
 > proved very difficult to get done.

I had a day to think about it, I think it will actually be easy.  It was
tough the first time around (First BCGR) because I only had a tape
camcorder, 1 hour footage:1 hour capture.  One time saver is now I can
just swap the media on and transfer it at much higher speed.

I also didn't know how to use the program, I tinkered and spent far more
time than I would have had I known what I was doing.  The new things
this year are that I have a couple solid state camcorders and I have a
better idea of what to do.

Matt Heusser wrote:
 > We could do a discovery session on how to edit videos.  I could buy a
 > copy of iMovie and we could edit videos from our /last/ peer
 > conference and try to put them up on YouTube.
 >
 > I am completely serious.

And:

Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
 > I'd personally be more interested in watching someone who knows how to
 > edit video use Kino [or some other Open tool].  Kino is Open and I've
 > had pretty good luck with it - but I have no idea what I'm doing when
 > it comes to editing video.  And Video editing has its own massive
 > collection of slang and acronyms.

How about a "media & design" track?  Given how media intensive internet
users are becoming, I think it would be a benefit to have a basic
understanding of good page (document & web) design, audio, photo & video
media.  I'm sure it would be a good springboard for beginners and
intermediate users.

Jeff