[barcampgr] Next Year

Kyle dontwantspam1 at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 23 13:10:58 PDT 2010

Things I liked that I'd rather not see change:

1. Time between classes.  I'd hate to lose five minutes of a class just
so I have more than enough time to get to another.  Even with them
exactly back-to-back, I thought it worked well enough.
2. The location was wonderful, easy to get to, and had plenty of other
places to go to nearby.
3. Classes being scheduled on-the-fly once people get there.  I think
having a wiki scheduling system for people to schedule their classes
before it starts would eliminate a lot of the spontaneity.
4. Lack of definitive feedback.  This was my first year, I'm not used to
teaching much less standing up in front of a group of people, and my
first presentation went quite poorly.  I think having red and green
pieces of paper to nail that point home would have discouraged me from
giving a second presentation, which seemed to be very well received.
5. I'd love to see additional subjects, but not necessarily at the
expense of the very wide variety of subjects that were presented that
related to web programming.  I know this is subject to opinion, but of
anything, this was probably the most valuable part for me.

Things I would like to see changed, largely echoing other comments from
the list:

1. A third day!
2. Broadcasting of schedule to rooms, or at least having the main
schedule placed in a more open area so everyone isn't bunching down the
hall.
3. Wiki for "What I'd like to learn about" to be filled in before
BarCamp and printed as a starter for the list.
4. Projectors that are aimed high enough that they don't go off the
pull-down screens.
5. Voluntary audio/video recording to be placed on the BarCampGR website
under a Creative Commons license of the presenter's choosing, so if a
presenter is new of uncomfortable with being recorded, they can opt
in/out.  Popular ones could be replayed the next year during a couple of
the time slots.
6. No network maintenance.
7. A whiteboard outside each door displaying the current and next class
titles with the classroom number above it.  This may alleviate the need
for having the schedule broadcast to the rooms, as the people walking
back from the end of the hall can see which classes they're walking past
and possibly find their next class without revisiting the main schedule.
8. Non-dry whiteboard markers.
9. Extension cords and power strips to the middle of rooms so those of
us with old laptops don't have to stay near a wall.  This was especially
apparent in the main lobby area.
10. More presentations on obscure languages.

- Kyle