[barcampgr] Topics

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Mon Jul 20 07:22:01 PDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-07-20 at 09:51 -0400, Daniel Parker wrote:
>         It's all about not relying on someone else to take care of
>         you, and instead how to take care of yourself and your career.

> Will that include such values as gardening, eating healthy, and living
> a balanced life (physical/mental, social/solitary, work/play/rest,
> etc)? ;)

There is a lot to this topic that probably isn't tech/IT, or really any,
career specific.  After having the opportunity to participate in a
couple of interviewing situations [as the interviewer] I'm really
surprised at how badly people shoot themselves in the foot.  At least
sit up in the chair for crying out loud!  I, like most interviewers [I
suspect], would be more comfortable recommending an interesting and
healthy human being than a troglodyte who can explain the register
scheme for the new i7 processors (although in my experiences I never
even saw one of those... sigh)

For anyone who goes to OLF <http://www.ohiolinux.org> Paul Ferris
<http://fericyde.blogspot.com/> has presented on this topic a couple of
times [roughly his 2008 topic is blogged @